Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ed Sheeran Gets An A+!

As you may know, Taylor Swift's new album, Red, features a duet with English singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran called "Everything Has Changed." Sheeran will be opening for Swift on her Red tour next year; since I really like their duet and I'll be seeing him at the show I'm attending in Atlanta, I figured I'd check him out. And, in an exciting turn of events, in November his album + is available to download for only $5 on Amazon!

Obviously, I bought it. I mean, look at the punny title I get to give this post!

I like Sheeran's music overall; I'm not sure how I'd describe his "sound" because the tracks make for an eclectic mix. He goes from Kanye West style narcissistic pseudo rap on "You Need Me, I Don't Need You" to a heartbreaking ballad relating his friend's story (from a first person perspective) of miscarriage on "Small Bump" to a solid pop song about thinking a girl is the bee's knees on "Grade 8." (Yeah, I just said "bee's knees," but it's cool because that's my favorite song on the album.) He's also rather British with his lyrics -- there's a song about London and references to English educational conventions you may not understand (see: "Grade 8") -- which I think is neat.

Recurring themes on the album are being cold (literally and figuratively!) and getting drunk; I can relate as a cold-natured college student... especially since on "U.N.I." he's apparently writing about the experience of ending a long-distance relationship in which one partner is busy at school ("uni," as it were).

Also, there are completely wonderful lines such as, "They say I'm up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator" and "I want to be drunk when I wake up." Another personal favorite: "Now I'm in position to be another stalker/And everything I say seems to always sound awkward." Because who hasn't had that feeling, right? I hope everyone has. Otherwise this is awkward indeed. Anyway.

I suggest spending the five bucks and giving Sheeran a try.

My essential tracks: "The A Team," "Drunk," "Grade 8," "You Need Me, I Don't Need You"

Also good but less alcoholic-themed: "U.N.I.," "The City," "Lego House," "Kiss Me"

Really, the whole thing is good. Go get it.

Alexandria's Completely Arbitrary Rating: B+

I realize that grade contradicts the title of the post. But I'm not sure if I've ever heard an album I would actually give an A+ so... #sorrynotsorry #whydoesthathashtagalwaysseemrude #whyamiusinghashtagsinmyblog

Let me know what you think about +!

No comments:

Post a Comment