Friday, November 16, 2012

Wait, What's My Major?

If you don't know me, you may be surprised to learn that my majors are American Studies, Marketing and Management.

You may also be surprised to learn that at some point or another I was planning/working toward majors or minors in French, Philosophy, Economics, Political Science, English, Film, German, and probably at least one other thing.

And actually, I changed my mind again this week after contemplating life for a while. Now I think I'll drop my Marketing major in favor of a minor in Public Relations (which is actually more credits than the former; gotta love adding programs across colleges!).

So, next semester I'll be enrolled in classes in Arts & Sciences, Commerce & Business Administration, and Communications & Information Sciences. This is unfortunate because I will be charged separate fees for each of these colleges, and also because to finish in four years I'll have to take 20-21 hours every semester except maybe if I'm lucky my last one.

Yes, I know, I'm crazy.

Unfortunately, I've had a lot of trouble figuring out what I'm interested enough in to commit to studying. This problem is, at least in part, the result of having no idea what I want to do when I grow up finish school. I wanted to be a lawyer before I started college, then I wavered on the old dream of being a writer, then I considered teaching, and now I'm perhaps interested in nonprofit work. I DON'T KNOW. And while that's scary and all, it's also exciting because I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants through life. Of course, I'd be a lot less anxious if I didn't have to worry about not finishing my degree programs in time.

My theory on undergraduate education is this: Everyone should have the same prerequisites. A year's worth of math, history, science, and literature, with fine arts and economics thrown in for good measure. And then? You should take all the classes you're interested in and that determines your degree. Imagine not going through college stressed out about whether you'll finish a particular degree, you'll know you'll get something for your work -- and you'll only have a degree in what you actually know. Sure, if you want, you can follow a pre-set path to your BS in Finance or BA in English or something. Or maybe you can get a degree in American Culture in a Commercial Context (or whatever the heck I'm studying). It would be a neat surprise and you wouldn't have to take stupid classes that hold up your graduating.

Obviously that is a very rough plan, but I think it's got some merit as a basic idea.

Anyone else feeling perplexed by a crazy curriculum?

No comments:

Post a Comment